Published on Oct 06, 2021
How to Set up Roku Parental Controls?
Roku was initially introduced in 2008 and had been improving ever since. Just like Netflix, HBO Max, and Amazon Prime, Roku is a video streaming device that offers both paid and free videos. The Roku device allows you to connect the device with your TV and watch any streaming videos on Roku. You can find many TV shows and movies on Roku of different categories.
Since, in Roku, you can find content for any age group of people, it can be dangerous for children. Some content on Roku can be undesirable for children, which parents must be aware of. Because of this reason, Roku has provided a built-in parental control feature.
Here I have listed few steps to turn on the parental control feature in Roku:
Turn on Parental Control
A built-in parental control feature allows you to prevent your kids from viewing inappropriate content on Roku. Here’sHere’s how you can add parental control pin on Roku:
- Step 1: Go to Roku websites, i.e., https://my.roku.com/index
- Step 2: Login using your credential.
- Step 3: Go to “PIN preference” and tap on Update.
- Step 4: Set a 4 digit PIN code that you can remember.
- After setting the PIN code, there are three PIN preferences that you can choose from:
- Require PIN to make a purchase and add items from the channel store.
- Always require a PIN.
- No need to add a PIN to make a purchase or add an item to the channel store.
- Step 5: Agree to the terms and conditions, then save the changes.
- Step 6: Verify the PIN to confirm the PIN.
- Step 7: Finally agree to the terms and conditions and save the changes.
Remove Inappropriate Channel Using PIN
If you do not want your children to view specific channels, you should block such channels. You can remove channels in Roku by adding a PIN to your Roku. By removing inappropriate channels, you will be able to hide items like TV stores, News, Movie stores, and so on.
- Step 1: Go to “My Channel” through Roku remote or Roku Mobile app.
- Step 2: Using the Roku remote, click on the “option button” represented as (*).
- Step 3: Now, choose the “Remove Channel” option and select “Remove” to confirm.
- To remove other channels, repeat the same steps.
The best part about it is, it allows you to add a new channel or deleted channel; all you need to do is set a PIN for your Roku account.
While the drawback of this technique is, your kids can view the blocked channels by browsing the channel name.
Remove Adult Rating Contents
Roku provides movies and TV content for people of all ages. Inappropriate content can affect children’s mental health; you do not want your children to view inappropriate content. Therefore, you should remove inappropriate content from your children’s devices. To block TV shows and movies based on rating, follow the steps given below:
- Step 1: Using your Roku TV remote, click on the Home button.
- Step 2: Choose Setting, and click on Parental Control.
- Step 3: Choose Enable Parental Control, then turn it on.
- Step 4: Now, choose TV/movie rating limits, or you can even block unrated TV programs.
You cannot view the blocked tv shows and movies until you enter the PIN code.
Hiding Movie and TV Store
Tweens and teens get tempted when they see new movies and TV shows on the Roku home page. If you hide these stores, your kids will not know which movies and TV shows are on Roku; therefore, it’s better to hide these stores. Here are the steps to hide movies and TV stores on Roku:
- Step 1: Go to your Roku home page and choose Setting. You will be moved to the Home Screen page.
- Step 2: Now, you will see an arrow; click on it to proceed to the next step.
- Step 3: Now, choose Movie Store and TV Store, and click on Hide.
If you want to view Movie Store and TV Store, follow the same steps and click on Show.
Ratings of Movies and TV Shows
Roku has categorized its movies and TV shows based on different age groups. Here are different Roku content ratings that Roku has used to categorize its contents:
- Off: Off category means you do not need to enter a PIN to view any content in Roku. Under this category, you can view the contents of any rating from U, PG, 12A, 12, 15, and 18.
- Little Kids: If you have toddlers and little kids, you should set the Little Kids option. In this rating, children can view movies and TV shows rated as G, TV-Y, and TV-G. You will not be asked for a PIN while watching these contents; while for watching other contents, you need to add a PIN code.
- Young Kids: Next rating that Roku has is for Young Kids. Under this rating, you can view contents which are rated as G, PG/TV-PG. But for other content, you need to add a PIN just like you did for little kids and off.
- Teens: This rating is mainly for teenagers. Under this rating, you can view contents which are upto PG-13/TV-14. Here you can view content that is suitable for teens up to age 15.
Why is Roku My First Choice for Video Streaming services?
As I mentioned above, Roku is a video streaming app that provides similar services as HBO max, Netflix, Disney, etc. Roku works as a cable cutter which is easy to set up and work with. If you are willing to use Roku on your TV, first of all, you need to purchase a Roku device which is a small box that has an adapter and remote control.
When Roku was first introduced, it was thought of as an alternative to cable. With this device, you can watch some content of Netflix, HBO, Hulu, and any other video streaming services that you have subscribed to.
What I loved about Roku is you do not need to commit to using this streaming service. You can quit it anytime you dislike it, or you get a better option. Also, it is cheaper than other video streaming apps. Also, not to forget its voice research feature, making it easy to research movies and videos. However, this voice search feature is available only in Roku Premiere+, Roku Ultra, and Roku Streaming Sticks.
Summing up, as you know, there are both desirable and undesirable contents on the internet, and it can be difficult for you to constantly monitor your child’s digital devices. Similarly, it can be difficult for you to stay beside your child while watching TV shows or movies on Roku. You do have your work, and while working, your kids might want to watch TV; this is when you need parental control on devices like Roku.
By setting parental control on your child’s Roku, you can be sure that your child is not watching content that is beyond their age limit. Here I have mentioned some of the easy ways to set parental control on Roku.
How do I restrict YouTube on Roku?
In Roku, you cannot directly block apps contents that Roku does not own. However, you can block YouTube on Roku by removing the channel on Roku. For this, you need to follow the steps given below:
- Using the Roku remote, choose the My channel option.
- Go to YouTube and click on the start button on the remote.
- Now select remove channel and press OK.
Can you set Time Limits on Roku?
No, you cannot find a time-limiting feature in Roku. If you want to set a time limit on Roku, you can do it by Internet router.
How do I Hide my Roku Channels?
To hide the Roku channel, you need to follow the steps given below:
- Go to My Channel using the Roku remote.
- Select the channel you want to block and select the Option Button.
- Click on Remove Channel and select OK.